Wastewater and greywater

Find out about wastewater management using septic tanks and greywater reuse regulations in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Page index:

Septic tank systems

Unsewered properties within the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder require septic tanks to treat and dispose of sewage and wastewater.

Constructing a septic tank system

Depending on the development, approval to construct a septic system must sought from either:

  • City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder
  • Executive Director, Public Health.

The City’s Environmental Health Section will advise you whom to seek approval from.

Applications for approval to construct must be accompanied by:

  • 2 sets of detailed plans (1:100 or 1:200 scales only)
  • Relevant fee.

Please download and submit an Application to construct or install an apparatus for the treatment of sewage (PDF, 42 kB), which includes:

  • Application form
  • Information on plan drawings, submissions and approval process
  • Fees and payments.

Please also download an Application to construct or install washdown bay (apparatus) (PDF, 73 kB), which provides:

  • Washdown bay information and specifications
  • Application form
  • Information for applicants.

Please note: Approval to construct a septic tank system is separate from approval to use the system.

In order to receive approval to use the system, the City must conduct an inspection to ensure it is installed correctly.

Decommissioning a septic tank system

If a property is connected to the sewer system, the disused septic tank system can be decommissioned. Owners are not required to have the disused system decommissioned at the time of sewer connection.

Decommissioning is only required when:

  • The property is sold
  • The use of the development changes (such as from a residence to a business)
  • Building extensions encroach on the minimum setbacks from the system.

Decommissioning involves pumping the contents out of the tanks and removing the entire system, where possible.

If it is not possible to remove the whole system, then the base of the septic tanks must be broken and the entire system backfilled with clean soil.
For further information on the decommissioning of a septic tank system click here.
Back to top


Greywater refers to all non-toilet household wastewater. It can be reused in domestic settings, especially during periods of drought or water restrictions.

However, doing so has some health and environmental risks.

The following tips will improve the health and safety of greywater reuse:

  • Only reuse water from baths, showers, hand basins and washing machines (final rinse)
  • Only use greywater on gardens, and rotate the areas you water
  • Only use as much water as the soil can absorb
  • Thoroughly wash your hands after using greywater.

Do not use greywater:

  • During wet periods
  • If odours are produced and plants appear unhealthy
  • To water vegetable that are to be eaten raw or uncooked
  • That is contaminated—for example, water used to wash nappies
  • From the kitchen (including dishwashers)—the high concentration of food waste and chemicals are not readily broken down in soil
  • That has been stored for more than 24 hours.

Please also do not:

  • Let children or pets drink or play with greywater
  • Allow greywater to flow from your property or enter stormwater systems.

Greywater systems

If you wish to put in a permanent system for greywater reuse, you will need to apply to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Council for approval.

Please contact us for more information or inquiries.
Back to top


The WA Department of Health, Public Health Division website contains information on wastewater management, including:

  • Septic tanks
  • Aerobic treatment units
  • Decommissioning
  • Greywater
  • Code of Practice
  • Product approvals.

The Department also provides information on Domestic wastewater overflows, including:

  • Definition, causes and health risks
  • Mitigation and response procedures
  • Clean up procedure
  • Legal responsibilities and power of various parties.

If you have experienced a domestic wastewater overflow, please contact us.
Back to top