The winners of the categories are as follows:
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Best Overall Award
Best Painting in Show
- When I was two they asked me where my dad was by Tanya Jaceglav
Best Print in Show
- The Dawn Descent by Leon Holmes
Best 3D in Show
- Inside the Yilgarn Craton by Martine Perret
Best Artwork by a Goldfields Artist
- Bush Doulton by Chris Dayman (Goldfields artist)
First Nations Art Award presented by Anglo Gold Ashanti
- The Prospector by Jarrad Price (Goldfields artist)
- Barna bulkarngu (from the ground up) by Kgukgi Catherine Noble (Goldfields artist)
Emerging Young Artist Awards presented by Evolution Mining
- Yilpa (Goanna) by Winston Stokes (Goldfields artist)
- Therapy by Adam Stehn (Goldfields artist)
- Roots by Nadine Cooper (Goldfields artist)
The City would like to thank the 2016 Art Prize Sponsors:
- City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Youth Council
- Norton Goldfields Limited
- Ango Gold Ashanti
- Evolution Mining
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- The Kalgoorlie Miner
- Radiowest 981 Goldfields
- Hon Wendy Duncan MLA Member for Kalgoorlie
- Black Crow Studios
- O’Connor Fresh Supa IGA
The People’s Choice Award will be chosen by the public over the course of the exhibition, and will be announced at the close of the exhibition.
CEO John Walker said the high quality of works entered in this year’s Art Prize was a reflection of the talent in the local arts community.
“This year we have seen not only the highest number of artworks in recent years, but also artwork of a very high standard,” he said.
“The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is keen to foster the arts and culture industry, as it ensures that our community caters to the needs of all residents, and provides local artists of all ages and cultural backgrounds an opportunity to express themselves.”
The 2016 Art Prize Exhibition is open to the public from the 3 to 25 September at the Kalgoorlie Town Hall. The exhibition is open from 10am until 3pm Tuesday to Thursday, and on weekends. Entry to the exhibition is free.