Subdivision approvals

Find out everything you need to know about subdividing a property in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Blocks of land can be divided into smaller parcels depending on their zoning and the size of the lot.

There are 2 types of subdivision:

  • Single house lots: These include freehold properties created independently of each other with separate titles, and survey strata properties with no common property, but are linked to the original lot's strata title.
  • Group dwelling lots: These are strata properties that form part of a group and share some common property, but are have separate owners.

Table 1 of the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) allows you to determine if your property can be subdivided, based on lot size and zoning. However, there may be circumstances where your property cannot be subdivided even though it may meet the minimum requirements. For more information, please refer to the R-Codes.

If you plan to buy a lot to be subdivided, please consult Planning Services and a licensed land surveyor before doing so.

Applications for subdivision and amalgamation are to be made to the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC), who will consult with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder for properties in our district. Planning Services will assess the applications and make a recommendation to the WAPC for final determination.

Please download the Subdivision applications (PDF) information sheet, for an outline of the subdivision application process.

Residential land that is being subdivided also requires some land set aside for public open space. However, under certain conditions, the City may accept cash in lieu of the open space, as directed by the Public open space in association with subdivisions (PDF) policy.