Bin collection

Find out about the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's weekly 240-litre mobile waste and recycling bin collection service, what the rules of use are, how to request for new bins, and when the bins are collected.

Page index:

Mobile bin collection services

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a weekly waste collection for residential and commercial properties, and a fortnightly recycling collection service for residential properties only, through the contractor Cleanaway.

Both services use 240-litre mobile garbage bins (MGBs):

  •  Green bins for refuse and waste
  •  Blue bins for recycling.

Back to top

Refuse collection service

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has contracted Transpacific Cleanaway to collect residential and commercial refuse in the community. 

Please do not overload the bins. The lids must be able to close, to prevent flies from breeding, and the bins must not weigh more than 70 kg otherwise the trucks may not be able to empty them.

To get the most from your bin collection service:

  •  Wrap moist and perishable foods in newspaper.
  •  Freeze smelly foods such as seafood until the night before collection.
  •  Store your bin in a shaded area.
  •  Clean your bin regularly using hot soapy water.

Green bins must contain only acceptable materials. The following cannot be placed in your rubbish bin:

  •  Hot ashes
  •  Flammable liquids
  •  Oil
  •  Paint
  •  Solvents
  •  Tyres
  •  Syringes and needles
  •  Timber pieces
  •  Steel
  •  Rubble
  •  Bricks
  •  Concrete

Businesses that require bulk refuse collection should contact a commercial operator, who will charge for the service. A waste disposal fee will also be charged by Yarri Road refuse facility. The City does not charge any fees for commercial bulk refuse collection.

Food premises operators should contact Environmental Health to discuss particular requirements for refuse disposal.

Pleased download our Information sheet on rubbish collection service (DOC) for more information.
Back to top

Recycling collection service

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder introduced kerbside recycling in 2007, and has contracted Transpacific Cleanaway to collect residential recycling in the community. 

Download your 2017 recycling calendar here for a quick reference to your collection week and items you can and can't recycle. If you would like a copy of the recycle calendar you can collect on from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Administration Building.

The following items should be recycled using your yellow lidded recycle bin:

  • Phonebooks, newspapers, office paper, magazines, junk mail, letters and envelopes
  • Cardboard
  • Steel & aluminium cans including aerosol cans
  • Alfoil trays - rinsed and lids removed
  • Milk and juice cartons - rinsed and lids removed
  • Glass bottles and jars - rinsed and lids removed
  • Plastic bottles and containers - rinsed and lids removed. This includes mixed plastics (made of both PET and HDPE i.e. margarine and ice cream containers); HDPE plastics such as milk bottles and containers; and PET plastics  which are clear plastic containers such as water bottles.


To get the most from your recycling bin recycling collection service:

  •  Place items loosely in the recycling bin.
  •  Do not tie recyclables up in plastic bags.
  •  Give bottles and jars a quick rinse before placing them in the recycling bin with the lids removed. Bottle and jars with liquids inside cannot be recycled and go to landfill.

Please do not place the following in the recycling bins:

  •  Nappies
  •  Metal objects other than steel and aluminium cans
  •  Plastic bags, including shopping bags
  •  Batteries, oil, acids or chemicals
  •  Rubber or leather items
  •  Garden waste, timber or building materials
  •  Clothing
  •  Food scraps and wrappings
  •  Liquid of any kinds
  •  Crockery, pottery, porcelain or plate glass

Your recyclables end up at the Cleanaway recycling facility here in Kalgoorlie-Boulder where the items are sorted by hand and non-recyclable items are removed and sent to landfill.

Businesses that require recycling collection should contact a commercial operator, who will charge for the service. The City does not charge any fees for commercial recycling collection.

Back to top

Bin repairs, requests and replacements

Broken 'green bins' (rubbish) and 'blue bins' (recycling) can be reported directly to Cleanaway on 9091 5686.

If you would like to request a bin for a new property, change your current service, or replace a stolen / absent bin, please download and submit a Bin Service Request form (PDF). Please note, this document must be signed for requests to be processed. 

Back to top

Collection days

Visit our IntraMap service to look up your property and see what day your bin will be collected and your recycling zone. Enter your street address into the street adress search at the bottom of the page and you will see the details of your property on the right hand side of the screen including your bin collection day and your recycling zone. 

Alternatively, you can download the Bin Collection Map and the Recycling Collection Map

Collection times may vary, so place your garbage and recycling bins the kerb by 6 am on the day of collection. They must be 80 cm apart, with handles facing the property and the lid opening towards the road. Avoid placement near trees or parked cars.

If your bin has been missed in the collection round, please contact Cleanaway on 9091 5686.

For additional information, please contact Waste Management, which is also a member of the Waste Management Association of Australia.
Back to top