Building approvals

Find out about the building approval process in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Page index:

New building approval system

The Building Act 2011 introduced a new range of measures for obtaining building permits. Among the changes are new processes for buildings in different classes.

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has 3 main functions in the building approvals process:

  •  Building certification services
  •  Permit approval and issuance
  •  Enforcement.

The Act separates the process of certifying compliance with building standards from the process of dealing with an application and issuing a building permit.

For more information, please:

Building certification

The process of certifying compliance is opened up to competition, and may be done by:

  •  Local government–employed building surveyor
  •  Private sector building surveyor.

In the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, we employ a full-time registered building surveyor.
Back to top

Building approval process

The building approval process involves many stages:

  • Applying for a building permit and Certificate of Design Compliance
  • Inspections during construction (when required)
  • Notification of Completion by the builder
  • Certificate of Construction Compliance (new building) or Certificate of Building Compliance (existing building) issued by registered building surveyor
  • Occupancy permits or building approval certificates issued by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Your project may also need planning approval. Please contact Planning Services to find out more.

Back to top

Building permits

A building permit under the Building Act 2011 is essentially the same as a building licence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960.

There are 2 different types of building permit applications:

  •  Uncertified applications
  •  Certified applications.

Once granted, the builder named on the building permit is responsible for constructing the building correctly.

Uncertified application for building permit

An uncertified building permit application is similar to an application under the previous system, but can only be used for single family dwellings and non-habitable buildings and structures.

In this application process, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's own building surveyor will assess the building plans and issues a Certificate of Design Compliance after the application is received.

The City will usually issue a building permit within 25 working days of an uncertified application. If more information is required before approval, the City will notify the applicant within 25 working days, and the applicant will have 21 working days to supply the information.

Certified application for building permit

In the certified application process, the applicant engages a private sector building surveyor to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance before applying for a building permit from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. It can be made for any class of building, however a Certified application is required for all class 2-9 applications.

The advantages of a certified application are:

  •  Certainty of approval
  •  Reduced approval times.

The City will usually issue a building permit within 10 working days of a certified application. If more information is required before approval, the City will notify the applicant within 10 working days, and the applicant will have 21 working days to supply the information

Certificate of design compliance

A Certificate of Design Compliance is issued by a registered building surveyor. It states that the building will comply with each building standard that applies to it.
Back to top

Demolition Permit

Any person demolishing a building or part of a building/structure must ensure that they obtain a Demolition Permit prior to commencing any demolition works.

Information required on submission of demolition permit application include:

  • Demolition Permit Application Form (see Building Commission websitie);
  • Two copies of a site plan clearly indicating the building/s to be demolished and the structures to be retained;
  • Demolition Checklist;
  • If the proposed demolition works are likely to adversely affect adjoining land or buildings beyond the boundaries of the demolitions site, a Form BA20 – Notice and Request for Consent of Work Affecting Other Land – is to be completed and signed by the affected adjoining land owners (see Building Commission websitie);
  • Specific requirements are required in regards to demolition of buildings containing asbestos (see Asebestos Guide and Asbestos Factsheet).

In addition, other Authorities need to be notified of the proposed demolition works. These authorities include but not limited to:

Water Corporation  Ph: 13 10 39
Western Power Ph: 13 13 51
Alinta Energy Ph: 13 13 58
Telstra Ph: 1800 670 017
Worksafe Ph: 1300 307 877


Where required, the registered building surveyor will conduct the inspections of a building at various stages, according to the Certificate of Design Compliance.

If at any stage the building fails to meet the inspection standards, the surveyor can terminate the relationship with the builder at this point. This includes:

  •  Inspections being missed
  •  Additional works being required.

Termination must be reported to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, who commence enforcement actions.

If the City is the registered building surveyor, the inspection fees will be included in the permit fee. Back to top

After construction

Notice of completion

The builder or demolition contractor must submit a Notice of Completion to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder within 7 working days of completion of works.

This establishes the end date of the building permit for compliance, and signifies that the builder or demolition contractor is no longer responsible for the building.

Notices of Completion must be accompanied by certificates for each inspection or test that applies to the permit where applicable.

Certificate of construction compliance

A Certificate of Construction Compliance is issued by a registered building surveyor after a new building has been constructed. The building must pass all inspections before the surveyor can issue this certificate.

It certifies that the building is safe to occupy and complies with:

  •  Certificate of Design Compliance
  •  Building Permit
  •  Associated plans, specifications and conditions

Certificate of building compliance

A registered building surveyor issues a Certificate of Building Compliance to indicate that an existing building:

  •  Complies with the relevant building standards
  •  Will perform to the level set for new buildings
  •  Is safe to occupy

Back to top

Occupancy permits and building approval certificates

Occupancy permits

An occupancy permit must be issued by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder before a completed building in Classes 2–9 (multi-dwelling, commercial and other uses) can be occupied.

It certifies that a building has been lawfully constructed and is safe to occupy and use as stated in the permit.

Without a Certificate of Construction Compliance or Certificate of Building Compliance by a registered building surveyor, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder cannot issue an occupation permit.

An occupancy permit can be used for:

  •  New buildings
  •  Modifications to existing buildings
  •  Buildings with an existing classification
  •  Changes of a building’s use or classification
  •  Registration of a strata scheme or plan of re-subdivision
  •  Retrospectively authorising an unauthorised building.

Under the Building Act 2011, a Certificate of Classification is taken to be an occupancy permit, and buildings under construction will need an occupancy permit before they can be occupied.

An application for an occupancy permit must be accompanied by:

  •  Certificate of Construction Compliance (for new buildings)
  •  Certificate of Building Compliance (for existing buildings).

Building approval certificates

Building approval certificates are used when an occupancy permit is not applicable, such as for:

  •  Individual houses, duplexes, terraces, and small boarding houses etc.
  •  Garages, sheds, fences, walls, swimming pools etc.
  •  Incidental structures.

They provide certainty that the building or structure substantially complies with current legilsaltion, and can be used to approve previously unapproved work.

Building approval certificates are required for:

  •  Registration of strata title plans
  •  Retrospective authorisation of unapproved building

The process for a building approval certificate application is:

  1. The building owner engages a registered building surveyor to assess the building plans and issue a Certificate of Building Compliance
  2. The building owner submits the Certificate of Building Compliance together with the application and all required documentation
  3. If more information is required, the City will notify the applicant within 14 working days, and the applicant will have 21 working days to supply the information
  4. The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder will issue the building approval certificate in 10 working days.

Back to top


The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is empowered to take the following enforcement actions in regard to the building process:

  • If a registered building surveyor terminates his or her relationship with the builder, the City can issue an infringement notice and require work to cease
  • Where a building is not granted an occupancy permit, the City may issue a demolition permit.

Serious matters can be referred to the Building Commission to investigate, which may have consequences for the building practitioners registration.
Back to top

How to access forms and guides

Please go to the Building Commission website for forms and guides related to:

  •  Certified building permit
  •  Uncertified building permit
  •  Demolition permit
  •  Occupancy permit
  •  Building approval permit
  •  Certificate of design compliance
  •  Certificate of construction compliance
  •  Certificate of building compliance
  •  Notice of completion.

Back to top