Single house development planning

Find out about planning requirements for residential developments in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, including residential design codes and noise abatement measures.

Page index:

Why do I need to submit my plans?

All plans for single houses must be submitted to Planning Services so that an assessment can be made under the Residential Design Codes of Western Australia 2002. Applications which comply will be issued with a letter of compliance so that a building licence can be processed.

Your project may also need planning approval. Please contact Planning Services to find out more.
Back to top

Residential design codes

The Residential Design Codes of Western Australia (R-Codes) regulate the location and design of residential developments in the State.

The aim of the R-Codes is to:

  •  Allow the widest range of dwelling types to meet community desires
  •  Encourage innovative design solutions
  •  Provide adequate standards of access and comfort for people with disabilities
  •  Minimise any adverse effects on neighbouring residents
  •  Ensure new developments contribute positively to the streetscape
  •  Aid fair, efficient, straightforward and timely approvals.

The R-Codes contain standards for residential properties and provide guidance on developmental density, along with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s town planning scheme.

They do not address physical construction requirements or internal arrangement of buildings, which are covered by the Building Codes of Australia. For more information on building of residential properties, please go to the Your property section.

Some variations to the R-Code requirements are permitted through planning policies and through the use of performance criteria.

The current R-Codes (Variation 1) came into effect on 29 April 2008. They were prepared under Section 26 of the Planning and Development Act 2005 by the Western Australian Planning Commission, and electronic copies are available on the Planning Commission website.

Please download our R-Codes policy (PDF) provides guidance and encourages high-quality residential development in the City through consistent, fair and thorough assessment within a local context.
Back to top

Noise abatement

The Town Planning Scheme outlines lots that are affected by aircraft or other noise and requires noise abatement measures to be installed.

Please download the Noise abatement measures: Hampton Heights (PDF) information sheet, which outlines noise abatement measures for properties adjacent to the airport.

Please download the Noise abatement measures: Kitchener Road (PDF) information sheet, which outlines the noise abate measures for living rooms and bedrooms that face the railway.
Back to top

Other issues affecting residential developments

Please download the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's Contributions to road sealing policy (PDF), which was developed to:

  • Assist in the development of fragmented residential land by sealing or upgrading existing unsealed roads.
  • Ensure that the cost of the road sealing is divided equally between all parties who receive benefit from the upgraded road.

Please also download the Driveways, crossovers and front fences (PDF) information sheet, which provides details on construction of driveways, crossovers and front fences on residential properties.

For more information, please contact Planning Services.
Back to top